Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Loving and Losing Lexi






As I reflect back on the birth and death of Lexi, I remember how I felt when we found out about her condition before she was born. We were completely heartbroken and devastated.  We were in so much emotional pain, the sting of which I had never before felt. We did not know how we would make it through the experience.  I thought I would literally die of a broken heart.  I had previously heard of other parents who had lost their babies, and I remember thinking that such an experience would never happen to me because God knows I could never make it through that.  

Here we are on the other side of the experience. We are still alive. We are OK. We are humbled. We are changed. We are happy. We are more grateful. Grateful for the little things. Grateful for the big things. Grateful for our family. Grateful for Lexi. Grateful, even, for our trials. We are stronger because of this trial. Trials can strengthen us if we allow them to. 

I have learned that God doesn't give us a trial which we cannot endure. The trial may seem unsurmountable, but if we trust in the Lord and ask for His help, he will help us through it. And we will be stronger people for having endured it. 

I would venture to guess that most of us don't have an accurate understanding of the depth of what we can endure, with the Lord's help. I think each of us is stronger than we think we are. Our potential is infinitely greater than we comprehend. There isn't anything we cannot endure, nothing we cannot achieve, with the Lords help.  If we tap into the Source that is the Lord, ask for His help and trust in Him, there isn't any mountain we cannot climb, no goal we cannot achieve.  As long as we are in tune with the Lord and heading in the direction He wants us to go, He will help us to accomplish and endure anything.

And life is to be enjoyed, not just endured!



4 comments:

Shauna said...

Love the title and the pics. I haven't seen you in so long!! I'm glad you are blogging now so I can keep up a little!

KaSs MiLeS said...

i love that picture with dad and brandon in it. 3 generations of men who love lexi. so cool!

Kory said...

I like the label of a forever family as a noun. That's a really cool thought. Thanks. Welcome to the blog world!

Amy said...

I agree completely. I am glad you are doing well, that life is moving on for you and you guys are enjoying life. Thank your post! I heard about krew's little teeth, I am so so sorry what a bummer! Poor guy